Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 1-2

Day One


Yesterday was my first day rehearsing at Chelsea Studios! Our call was at 9:30 in the morning and we started with a meeting with an Equity representative. For those reading who don't know what this is (aka my mom and family friends), Equity is the actor's union. The rep came in to let us know our rights, how we deal with any problems that may come up, benefits, and the initial application process.
After that we had a Safety meeting... This was where a therapist of sorts came in and showed us how we should best lift any set pieces and props, how to deal being in a car and its physical consequences, and how to keep a healthy diet along the road. We had a little exercise where we had to pick up things around the room, using our legs and not our back. Simple enough.

Right afterwards we started learning the entire show's music. Carol Hall, the composer of the show, also wrote The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. The music is really cute.

The cast are all a bunch of super talented people that I'm excited to work with, too. I had a good lunch with two of them yesterday, and then we went back to learn the rest of the music.

Day Two


Today we started a little later- 10:30 and sang through the show. Following that, we fixed a few things, had lunch (grabbed Subway with the entire cast), did a read-through of the entire show with our lovely director, and then blocked the opening number of the show.

I'm recovering from a foot injury so have been having to take it easy in the dancing and movement on stage, but it's pretty basic movement that's really looking so cute.

I got home around 6:45 tonight and am exhausted. So, I'm hanging around the apartment watching some Seinfeld, reviewing the blocking (staging of the show), and having the other half of my Subway sandwich (a great technique to save money).


I was thinking about how this production of "Max and Ruby" is probably going to be the first show that a lot of children will see in their lives, and I'm so thrilled to be a part of that experience for someone! That's definitely something that I may have to keep in mind when we get to the 150th time we do the show and it gets repetitive- we're doing 178 or something(?) I may have just made that up, but it's somewhere in the mid 100's.

No comments:

Post a Comment