Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Frozen Tundra

It's sooooo fucking cold! Whyyyy?

On top of it being cold outside, the hotel I work at is FREEZING, as well! The doors keep sliding open and a rush of frigid wind blows in. It just adds to the annoyance that has been this winter. Everything is moving soo slowly.

I can't deal with much more. Living in Astoria has become a major pain in the cold. The 5 minute walk to the subway feels like an eternity. Waiting for the subway to leave the station is in itself another frustrating experience. You never know if it will leave once you get on it or if you'll be stuck sitting on it for a good 15 minutes before it journeys into Manhattan, which is also too far for me right now. It takes me almost an hour to get to work- leaving me with a lot of unhappiness once I reach the igloo that is my desk.


Then, once I get here to this frozen over hell, I am surrounded by egotistical pricks. One particular manager, let's call him Harry, acts as though he is superior to everyone and everything on this planet. His second-in-command is a dimwit who stares off into space and doesn't know right from left. Harry likes to use his cell phone and when you are using yours (for when your boss texts you) he gets upset... Lead by example, perhaps? The thing is, the concierge company I work for does not work for these corporate hotels. Rather, they rent the space so that they can sell tickets, tours, etc. So we really shouldn't need to follow their commands at every moment. Pain in my ass.

(Shout out to James! He's cool.)

Life right now just feels like one long waiting game. I'm waiting for the next audition and the next performance. I just want to be doing something fun and passion-filled. I think that come April I will be abroad in Europe or Australia, and Israel for a few weeks/months. I need to get out and enjoy what surrounds us and what's in nature. I'm just hoping that I have the strength to survive all of this BS in the meanwhile.

Another thing that frustrates me right now are people. It's upsetting to me that not everyone is empathetic and caring. So many people, particularly, in the hotel business, are sly and conniving. They just manipulate and lie... and I don't get it. What makes them that way? I talked to my mom about this recently and she told me that education and family dynamics have a lot to do with it. But I can't help but wonder how some of my friends who have grown up in "broken" homes have turned into stunning beautiful people, while others have turned into the polar opposite. I need to find the good in everyone again. I used to believe that people are generally good in their core, but my opinion is changing. I want to live among happy and positive people. But, I also don't want to be sheltered from the reality that everyone else is living. It's very depressing that so many people live in harsh and horrible conditions. Why can't everyone, as Ellen says, be KIND to one another? Seriously, peeps. Seriously.

It's an easy choice- smile or be a douche. It takes much less energy to smile. Not only are you putting happiness unto others, you're increasing your own endorphins and making you happier by default! Look at that! Amazing.

So, I hate to put out all of that negativity regarding my dislike for a particular Debbie-downer, but I am using Harry as an example. There are billions of him out there.

....

Moving on.

I saw American Idiot last week, co-starring Melissa Etheridge for the week. She was stellar! I loved it! I won the lottery and sat front row(!!) where it blew my mind. The cast is fantastic- so powerful and energetic. They were GIVING every moment...
which leads me to the show I saw the following night where they were not....

Spiderman: Turn off the Dark, aka spiderman: turn the houselights on
I refused to actually pay money towards this show, so I ended up lucky that my friend got me comps. I think it's absolutely embarassing and egotistical for $65 MILLION dollars to be shelled out on a project like this. Do they realiiize how much money that is?! Thousands of teachers in New York are losing their jobs this year- $65 million could have gone to saving their jobs, among additional educational projects. It could have gone anywhere!
I, of course, believe that we should be investing in the arts- hell! I am IN the arts- but who in his/her right mind said "YES! $65 million dollars to make SPIDERMAN, the MUSICAL." I mean, really?? What were you thinking?!
Basically, the Michael Riedel article from the NY Times sums up exactly what i said to anyone willing to listen, and it can be read here: http://theater.nytimes.com/2011/02/08/theater/reviews/spiderman-review.html?scp=1&sq=spiderman&st=cse

In summary, it was disconnected, poorly written, filled with unmemorable music, and tiring to watch. I literally started to doze off in Act Two, when a flying tarantula was singing some bizarre music. The cast- they're talented- I mean they're on the Broad-Way. I just think the show was poorly conceived and didn't let them be their amazing selves.

Well, when it first started I thought it could be okay- it looked really pretty! All of these gorgeous orange silk sheets flying around and people swinging around. But then... oh boy....

I don't really want to write about it anymore, actually. So I'm moving on...


In fact, I think I'm done with this post.

peace, happiness, and kindness.
~Tal

2 comments:

  1. :-) Hi Tal, I read a second post. You're writing and thoughts are SUPER compelling (not so much debbie downer)! I have to get ready for the day but it was a pleasure starting my day reading your earnest post... I'll be back! Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete