Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I'm BAAACK

Here I am, back in NYC!

I'm residing in Astoria, which from here on forth shall be known as ACT-oria. I moved in a week and one day ago to a lovely two-bedroom apartment (pics to follow in a future post) with a lovely roommate, Laura, a fellow actorian.

So far, things have been going well but in a rocky fashion, I would say. Once I got here on Tuesday, the magical Laura had already moved in and the apartment was fairly set up with a couch, tv's, some kitchen supplies, blinds, and such. The one thing it was lacking, which in the monstrous heat everyone wanted, was air conditioning. Since the weekend, and the supposed Hurricane Earl, the temperature has dropped substantially, however, and the need for ac has decreased. We've been using fans when necessary and just keeping the windows open for a breeze.
I didn't have a bed until Monday night. That was a tough one. Boy, do we/I take beds for granted! I slept on the couch for the first night, which was unfortunately, uncomfortable (but for all those of you who may come to visit, don't worry, we'll be getting an air mattress soon enough). After one night on that, we got a borrowed air mattress from Laura's friend, who also gave us a bunch of free furniture, including my now bed.
This weekend I started to put the bed together. It was quite a task- pieces were missing, I was lacking the proper tools, and I had never built such a huge IKEA piece on my own before. Well, I got my "laundry day clothes" and my sneakers on, put on some Joan Jett, and built that baby from the ground up. Sunday I had a treacherous evening at Ikea, where everything was just falling to pieces: they were out of white fitted sheets, they sent me all over the place to get a missing piece, waiting in absurd lines, and then the best part- it was so late when I was done that the ferry was no longer running and I had to lug all my new stuff on a bus, to the subway, only to transfer a second time. A trip that should've taken an hour and half took about 4.
Monday night I picked up the mattress, a nightstand, and a coffee table, also from the same friend of Laura's, with a really cool guy I hired to move it for me. Then, I completed the construction of the bed, and put my room together... and it's HEAVENLY. I am so relaxed when I get into it, and it makes a WORLD of a difference. It's just clean and white and pure. And I'll get some decorative items in the coming weeks.

But, first, I need to make money. Which brings me to the new job I have! Very fortunately, I was lucky to get a job after being here for two days! Unreal, I know. A huge thank you to Mr. Jacob King. I'm working at The Gershwin Hotel in the Flatiron District as a front desk/guest service agent. In fact, I'm at work as I write this. I'm working in the reservations office right now, which is beyond lovely. The people are great, I've got a basic handling of the hotel system, and it's flexible with my audition schedule (which looks like is getting hectic next week.)

So, in general, things are looking up! I can't believe in one week of getting to NYC, I have a job, a fairly settled into apartment, already seen a bunch of friends, and am back into the swing of the city! It has been a bit more difficult this time around. After living in Southern California all summer, with its perfectly weathered luxury, coming to NYC I initially felt cramped and frustrated. I still do feel grossed out by certain things that didn't use to bug me as much. But, I'm here for a reason. And, I must go forth and enjoy the things that I love about NYC- my friends, the art, the theater, the vivaciousness of the buildings around me, the constant change, and the fact that I'm one step closer to achieving my goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment